Ever have a day when you just can't make any of the decisions you need to?
Some days, there is a constant replay in my mind thinking of every possible scenario or just plain panicking before committing to even the smallest thing. What usually happens to me is that something that was once pretty small and insignificant has suddenly blossomed into a full-blown oversized obstacle that is really scary and overwhelming. Sound familiar?
Not only is this a way of avoiding risk and not taking any chances but it is destructive and paralyzing especially when there are positive rewards at the end.
Here are 5 simple ways to check your uncertainty at the door:
- Ask yourself "What's the worst that could happen?"
- If you can't come up with something really good then just make the decision and move on.
- Don't ignore the positives.
- If you are going to overthink things then for each negative balance it out and come up with a positive.
- Give yourself permission to make mistakes.
- You can't control everything and you can't always make the right choice. Some choices will be good and some bad. Accept what you don't like, learn from it and do it differently the next time.
- Set a deadline and stick to it.
- If you know that you are going to agonize over it, then do it but choose a time when you have to stop and commit.
- Take a break.
- Give yourself time to do something you enjoy and clear your mind. It might just be what you need to move forward.
Spend time with the people who you love and care about. Not only will this take your mind off of whatever is bothering you but it will help you focus on others, giving you a brighter perspective. When we stop overthinking everything and focus on our present instead of what might be, we stop self-sabotaging and begin to live a life that is happier and less fearful.